The Keep America Beautiful® Great American Cleanup® annually engages more than 500,000 volunteers and participants, whose work returns, on average, more than $100 million in measurable benefits across more than 15,000 participating communities.
Keep America Beautiful believes that people and places are profoundly interconnected. Whether you live in a big city, a suburb or a small rural town, the Great American Cleanup is a shining example of how lasting, positive change happens when people work together.
Through programs like the Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful transforms public places into beautiful spaces helping to make communities that are environmentally healthy, socially connected, and economically sound. They’re better places to raise a family, start a business, or go to school. They’re better places for living our lives.
During the Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful affiliates, partner organizations, corporate partners and millions of volunteers:
- Remove litter and debris from roadsides, highways, shorelines, and waterways for safer, cleaner communities;
- Plant trees, flowers, and gardens to strengthen our community’s green infrastructure;
- Clean and restore nature trails, recreation areas, and playgrounds to encourage play and physical activity;
- Recycle aluminum cans, plastic bottles, electronics, paper products, tires, clothing, and even junk cars to give garbage another life;
- Rebuild public spaces in communities struck by natural disasters to renew social connections; and
- Restore urban, suburban, and rural business districts and thoroughfares to spur economic impact.
The Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful’s signature community improvement national program, lets anyone participate in creating a country in which every community is a clean, green, and beautiful place to live.
- Click here to find your closest affiliate to participate in a local Great American Cleanup event.
- Don’t have an affiliate in your community, but looking to register a Great American Cleanup event? Contact us and we’ll make it happen!
- Looking for more information about the Great American Cleanup? Contact us!
- Looking for general information about Keep America Beautiful Information? Contact us!
- A partnership with Diageo, a new funder, created a nationwide community improvement grant program with a focus on Martin Luther King, Jr. corridors.
- In March and in partnership with The Dow Chemical Company, the Keep America Beautiful logo was wrapped around the #3 race car and debuted in two NASCAR races.
- Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary celebration planned in April was delayed until September and celebrated throughout the month. However, on April 22, Keep America Beautiful launched DoBeautifulThings.org to celebrate moments of beauty and give hope to others.
- A new plastics reprocessing pilot program in Texas was put on hold due to restrictions on collection events in that state funded in part by The Dow Chemical Company and Igloo.
- Concern for clean waterways determined new public space recycling infrastructure in fice cities and the creation of a new messaging campaign for public awareness and education funded in part by Keurig Dr Pepper, Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, and Altria.
- June saw several bold initiatives launch as Keep America Beautiful responded to the restrictions of COVID-19. The Great American Cleanup Virtual Experience, a website where participants tracked individual fitness steps, cleanup activities, plogging events, and gardening activities led to the improvement and beautification of a virtual park. The site also accepted donations to Keep America Beautiful.
- At the same time and with funding from Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, KAB launched a volunteer experience portal designed to match volunteers with KAB affiliate events in their local areas across the US.
- As restrictions eased in July, the Great America Cleanup launched and continued through Oct. 18. Keep America Beautiful encouraged affiliates and volunteers to plan activities based upon local guidance and safety protocols.
Thanks to our 2022 Great American Cleanup National Sponsors: