Affiliates Give Back on MLK Day of Service
Monday, Jan. 20, 2020, marks the 25th anniversary of the day of service that celebrates and honors Martin Luther King Jr.
Keep America Beautiful® affiliates across the country are hosting community events on and in the days leading up to the MLK King Day of Service, which takes place on Monday, Jan. 20.
- Keep Arkansas Beautiful is hosting a litter pickup event on Jan. 20.
- Keep Philadelphia is supporting two local events, hosted by PhillyRising, a division of the City of Philadelphia Managing Director’s Office.
- Keep Waco Beautiful in Texas is joining local business Waco Paddle Company for its annual Brazos River Cleanup.
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful in Tennessee is offering tools and supplies, including gloves and litter pickers, to anyone who hosts a cleanup.
- Keep Greenville County Beautiful is hosting a litter pickup event and will provide volunteers with free t-shirts.
- Keep Rome/Floyd Beautiful in Georgia is joining local college students to clean up illegal dumping in Armunchee Creek.
- Keep Douglas County Beautiful in Georgia is giving away Dogwood and Willow Oak Tree Saplings to encourage citizens to plant the trees for MLK Day.
To volunteer with a Keep America Beautiful affiliate near you, click here.
The Corporation for National and Community Service, a federal government agency, leads the national MLK Day of Service effort.
“The Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service is the only federal holiday observed as a national day of service — a ‘day on, not a day off,'” according to the agency’s website. “This day of service helps to empower individuals, strengthen communities, bridge barriers, address social problems, and move us closer to Dr. King’s vision of a ‘Beloved Community.'”
The site also features a tool to search for MLK Day of Service volunteer opportunities. Click here to find one in your community.