Keep America Beautiful Trash Dash™
Plogging for Our Planet
Plogging for Our Planet, the Keep America Beautiful® initiative to bring plogging to neighborhoods across the country, will work similarly to a run, with the primary difference being the picking up of litter throughout the route. Ploggers will be equipped with gloves, trash bags, and litter pickers to pick up litter during the jog or walk. The primary objective of the plog is to beautify one’s community by removing litter along the running route.
Plogging is a blend of the Swedish phrase ‘plocka upp’ (meaning ‘pick up’) and ‘jogging’. It debuted in Sweden in 2016 and made its way to the United States in 2018.
Plogging, the act of picking up trash while jogging, was adopted by Keep America Beautiful because it incorporates the primary areas we address – reducing litter, improving recycling, and beautifying communities – and this healthy activity’s direct connection to our vision of a world that’s clean, green and beautiful.
Plogging provides people with the unique opportunity to simultaneously exercise while benefiting their community. It offers participants a direct impact on their local community.
Plogging in Your Local Community
Feel inspired? Join the plogging movement in your community today! It’s easy, healthy, and gives you a sense of pride for making a difference in you community. Get started today and follow the simple steps below to create a lasting impact.
- Plogging Route – Choose a route that is heavily littered and safe.
- Materials – Be prepared and make sure to be equipped with gloves, bags, water, and a litter picker, if desired.
- Safety – Your plogging route may require crossing streets. Always look both ways when crossing and wear gloves when picking up litter. Stay away from picking up sharp or harmful objects.
- Disposable – When your plog is finished, properly dispose of products in the correct recycling or trash bins.
- Show off – Show off the hard work you have done and post about it! Use the #DoBeautifulThings hashtag and follow us on Instagram to be connected to the plogging community and stay informed.
Benefits of Plogging
The benefits of plogging range from community improvement to overall individual health. The wide range of motions used while plogging make it a more extensive workout than just jogging. The frequent stopping and starting to pick up litter is akin to interval training. It’s great for amateur runners because it offers opportunities for frequent breaks.
For more information about organized events or plogs, check out our affiliates closest to you and take part in their local events.
Still have questions? For more information about this global phenomenon, contact Laura Peterson.
Thanks for our Title Sponsor of our plogging initiatives, Dart Container Corporation. Read about our partnership here.