20 Ways to Participate in the 2021 Great American Cleanup
The Keep America Beautiful® Great American Cleanup® (GAC) is the nation’s largest community improvement program. The GAC, taking place in the spring (March 20-June 20), beautifies and unifies communities across the country in a grassroots spring-cleaning movement.
Through the 2021 Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful encourages all individuals to join the movement and help end littering. Here are 20 ways to get involved.
- Sign up to be a volunteer at your local Keep America Beautiful® Great American Cleanup® event or host your own.
- Set a goal to pick up litter outside for at least 15 minutes each day for one month during the Great American Cleanup. Be sure to check your local health guidelines.
- Get plogging. Plogging combines jogging with picking up litter, offering exercise benefits while supporting your community and the environment.
- Teach children to properly dispose and recycle trash with fun activities and Waste in Place lessons.
- Discover beautiful moments and share your own at dobeautifulthings.org.
- Properly dispose of cigarette butts in ash receptacles and portable ashtrays.
- Keep storm drains clear of litter and debris.
- Recycle on the go or hold on to your recyclables until you can get to a recycling bin.
- Lead by example and do not litter. The less litter in an area, the more likely people will keep it clean.
- Keep a litter bag in your car to dispose of trash.
- Secure your loads to prevent trash and debris from creating litter on the roads.
- Clean up graffiti or transform graffiti-ridden walls into community murals.
- Donate your old car, truck, boat, motorcycle, or motor home to Keep America Beautiful. Call 855-500-7433 or click here to learn more.
- Revitalize and clean up a local park or playground.
- Plant native species. Native trees, for instance, can benefit local wildlife, moderate ground temperature, and remove carbon dioxide from the air.
- Adopt an alley, highway, or street near you.
- Pick up after your pets.
- Clean out inside your home and check locally for sites to donate or recycle unwanted clothing and electronics.
- Donate to Keep America Beautiful to help us continue to make a lasting environmental, economic and social impact on communities nationwide.
- Leverage social media to share community updates and initiatives. Follow along with #cleanYOURblock.
Photo Credit: Keep Berkley Beautiful