21 Ways to Participate in the 2021 Great American Cleanup
The Keep America Beautiful® Great American Cleanup® (GAC) is the nation’s largest community improvement program. The GAC, taking place in the spring (March 20-June 20), beautifies and unifies communities across the country in a grassroots spring-cleaning movement.
Through the 2021 Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful encourages all individuals to join the movement and help end littering. Here are 21 ways to get involved.
- Sign up to be a volunteer at your local Keep America Beautiful® Great American Cleanup® event or host your own.
- Set a goal to pick up litter outside for at least 15 minutes each day for one month during the Great American Cleanup. Be sure to check your local health guidelines.
- Join our new 152 Challenge and pick up 152 pieces of litter. Why 152? According to our 2020 National Litter Study, if everyone made the individual action of picking up 152 pieces of litter (all at once) there would be no litter on the ground unless someone littered again. Share your experience on social media by tagging Keep America Beautiful and including #152AndYou.
- Get plogging. Plogging combines jogging with picking up litter, offering exercise benefits while supporting your community and the environment.
- Teach children to properly dispose and recycle with fun activities and Waste in Place lessons.
- Discover beautiful moments and share your own at dobeautifulthings.org.
- Properly dispose of cigarette butts in ash receptacles and portable ashtrays.
- Keep storm drains clear of litter and debris.
- Recycle on the go or hold on to your recyclables until you can get to a recycling bin.
- Lead by example and do not litter. The less litter in an area, the more likely people will keep it clean.
- Keep a litter bag in your car to dispose of trash.
- Secure your loads to prevent trash and debris from creating litter on the roads.
- Clean up graffiti or transform graffiti-ridden walls into community murals.
- Donate your old car, truck, boat, motorcycle, or motor home to Keep America Beautiful. Call 855-500-7433 or click here to learn more.
- Revitalize and clean up a local park or playground.
- Plant native species. Native trees, for instance, can benefit local wildlife, moderate ground temperature, and remove carbon dioxide from the air.
- Adopt an alley, highway, or street near you.
- Pick up after your pets.
- Clean out inside your home and check locally for sites to donate or recycle unwanted clothing and electronics.
- Donate to Keep America Beautiful to help us continue to make a lasting environmental, economic and social impact on communities nationwide.
- Leverage social media to share community updates and initiatives. Follow along with #cleanYOURblock.
Photo Credit: Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful