More than 5,500 volunteers of all ages spread out across Fort Wayne, Indiana, on May 20, to make Fort Wayne cleaner, greener and more beautiful.
Keep Fort Wayne Beautiful’s annual citywide Great American Cleanup was another great success. City officials reported that more than 230 neighborhood associations, youth and church groups, civic and service organization, among others, worked at more than a dozen locations to clean up 150,000 pounds of litter and debris, including more than 1,000 scrap tires and other illegally dumped items. Keep Fort Wayne Beautiful’s Great American Cleanup takes place annually every third Saturday of May. More than 50 local businesses provided supplies and funding for the event.
While complete results haven’t yet been tallied, the results from 2016 demonstrate the scale of Fort Wayne’s accomplishments:
- 189,000 pounds of litter & debris was collected
- 1,500 illegally dumped tires recycled
- 81 miles of roads, streets & highways were cleaned or beautified
- 1,639 acres of parks & public lands were cleaned
- 36 miles of hiking, biking & nature trails